Everything You Need to Know About Bed Sheets
Using long fibers in the weaving process gives bed sheets a smooth and silky feel. To ensure that you get bedding with long fibers, check the packaging. If there is any mention of 2-ply or 4-ply, then you will know that the weave has been comprised of shorter lengths.
Egyptian, Supima and Pima cottons have the longest fibers – but again, check the thread count and the ply to be sure.
Check list of Bed Sheet Fabrics
- Cotton – Natural, comfortable, breathable, durable.
- Egyptian Cotton – the highest quality ‘long thread’ cotton but check that it is 100% cotton. Sheets can be called Egyptian with only 10% Egyptian Cotton content! Also check the thread count and ply to guarantee quality.
- Supima and Pima Cotton – use the same checks as for Egyptian Cotton
- Flannel – breathable, warm, durable.
- Cotton/Polyester blends – wrinkle less than full naturals and are easier to iron.
- Satin – An affordable alternative to silk. Easy to care for but snags and pulls easily.
- Silk – The best available. Durable, breathable, hypoallergenic, cool in summer, warm in winter. Often graded by its’ ‘momme’ weight. An average silk sheet would weight between 10-12 momme. The higher the momme the better the silk.